Breakfast and Snacks
- Chai Granola and an apple
- Squash smoothie (recipe link to come) with hemp seeds and protein powder
- Iced fruit bowl with granola and honey (recipe to come)
- VEGA bar
- VEGA smoothie powder in almond milk or smoothie
- Any leftovers found in the fridge
- Oatmeal mixed with protein powder, cinnamon and pecans
- Apple and almond butter or almonds
Almonds are a common snack in our household. I buy the big bags at Costco and then roast them and freeze what we don’t need right away to eat, make into almond butter or almond milk. Because we snack on almonds, I try to use other nuts as much as possible in recipes. Thus the pecans in the oatmeal and the walnuts in the chai granola.
Side note – I find oatmeal to spike my blood sugar some mornings. Recently I have been using it sparingly.
- Lettuce mixes plus veggies plus protein (salmon, tuna, chicken, etc.)
- Mixed beans with celery, onion, carrots, spices and Dana Shortt oils and vinegars
- Sweet potato, onion and black bean salad (recipe to come)
- Rice of various descriptions (red, black, brown, mixed…)
- Lentil Stew (recipe to come)
- Sweet Potato Chickpea curry (recipe to come)
- Salmon with rice and veggies
- Chicken with rice and veggies
- Brown rice pasta with protein and veggies
- Water! Drink more! Drink as much as you can. Few of us drink what we should in a day.
- Pau d’arco tea with dehydrated ginger is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. A friend swears by two cups of it a day to keep the arthritis symptoms at bay. Visit All Things Tea for the ingredients https://www.facebook.com/AllThingsTea
- Ginger, lemon/lime, honey elixer – We found this near Collingwood and and have one we are now making ourselves. It is so so good. http://www.meredithsgingersyrup.com/buyAsupply.html
- Soda Stream – we have a lot of fun with this in the summer. We love our bubbly water. I hope to have a ginger syrup created by this summer that we can use in our water.
- Juicing! We have a powerful juicer that we are using more lately. It is easy to add ginger and turmeric to the juicer and the results are powerful.